Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This is just to say..

3 poems I never tire of reading. Beautiful and simple.

This is Just to Say
William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


Love
Czeslaw Milosz


Love means to learn to look at yourself
The way one looks at distant things
For you are only one thing among many.
And whoever sees that way heals his heart,
Without knowing it, from various ills -
A bird and a tree say to him: Friend.
Then he wants to use himself and things
So that they stand in the glow of ripeness.
It doesn't matter whether he knows what he serves:
Who serves best doesn't always understand.


Bird
Pablo Neruda


It was passed from one bird to another,
the whole gift of the day.
The day went from flute to flute,
went dressed in vegetation,
in flights which opened a tunnel
through the wind would pass
to where birds were breaking open
the dense blue air -
and there, night came in.

When I returned from so many journeys,
I stayed suspended and green
between sun and geography -
I saw how wings worked,
how perfumes are transmitted
by feathery telegraph,
and from above I saw the path,
the springs and the roof tiles,
the fishermen at their trades,
the trousers of the foam;
I saw it all from my green sky.
I had no more alphabet
than the swallows in their courses,
the tiny, shining water
of the small bird on fire
which dances out of the pollen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kinger, have you listened to this episode of This American Life?

    http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=354

    The last part has different TAL contributors' take on "This is just to say". It's pretty great.

    xcw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, no I haven't heard that one yet. I'll listen to it tomorrow with my morning latte. Thanks so much! How beautiful and amazing is that poem?!

    ReplyDelete